Sunday, May 22, 2011

Your Next Steps

Now that you have had a good cry, fought through the urge to call that guy, and realized that your girl friends are there for you, it's time to start moving forward. Easier said than done, right? Trust me, I was there, but the only way to get back on your feet is to stand up and put one foot in front of the other. I once heard someone say "you are your biggest problem, yet your best solution." So don't worry - it will work out. You are going to fall back on your face, your going to cry a lot, and you might drink a lot, but you will move forward!

To help you get started here is my suggestion - Start a Bucket List! I'm serious, make a list of all those things you have always wanted to do. If you can't think of something, then call a girl friend and go out. I don't care if you have to work tomorrow, have a test, or some excuse - stop making excuses. Go out!!! Put your favorite dress and shoes on. I mean it, fix up and look good. Then grab your girl friends, go out, and just get silly. Don't care what people are going to say, if you feel as though you are being silly - good, you are doing the right thing. Don't be the girl on the wall - you are too good for that. If you think people are talking about you, they are, because they wish they were gutsy enough to be like you. HAVE FUN!

When you wake up - have no regrets. Write down your favorite part of the night and then start your bucket list. Since I've been single, I have had the time of my life and I have done some amazing things with some amazing people - My Slassy Ladies!!!

So I have a question for y'all - what is your bucket list?

5 comments:

  1. I actually started my bucket list in my twenties soon after my divorce.

    1. Watch a MLB game in every ball park (15/30 so far)
    2. Climb Mt. Ranier (Completed 2001)
    3. Bike across the country (not yet)
    4. See the Great Wall of China (not yet)
    5. Scuba the Great Barrier Reef (not yet)
    6. Go to a Disney Park at least once a year (haven't missed a year in 15 years)
    7. New item....get a Ph.D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading "Creating your best life: the ultimate life list guide" by Caroline Adams Miller and others. Its all about your creating a list and finding ways to accomplish those goals. As a guy in his fifties, I have never walked away from doing something stupid. More importantly, I have learned more from doing them than letting those opportunities pass me by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bucket list is the way to go. I started one in my early 40's just before I went Repelling at Table Rock. What a way to start. The amazing thing about a bucket list is that you never get to the end. Things on the list can be fun or just stuff. Like: white water rafting or visit folks in a nursing home who have no one. Put fun stuff, growing stuff, rewarding stuff, and those secret indulgences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My list is very iterative, but I just added sky diving! I agree with you, sometimes putting on a happy face can, well make you happy.

    When things aren't going your way, change them. You have the power to create your best life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The power of an amazing pair of heels is incredible!

    In addition to a lifelong bucket list (love the idea), there is something called the Day Zero Project (http://dayzeroproject.com/). You create a list of 101 things you want to complete in the next 1001 days. Though I often think of a "million" things I want to do, it was harder to create a list of 101 things than I thought it would be, but it was a fun process. I posted mine to my personal blog and have been tracking my progress (I love the feeling of being able to cross things of lists) and have continued to add to it as well.

    ReplyDelete