Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Do I really have to face the EX - YES!

Now that you are finally comfortable being single and living without that guy, it’s time to face him! I know it's not going to be fun and you are probably going to have a ton of anxiety before the day, but you can do it - I did and so can you!!

PS: This is a long one!!!

Just this past spring I had to face not just my ex, but his new girlfriend (the one he was cheating on me with). I have to consider myself lucky because of the situation I found myself in. A lot of times when you end a relationship it is likely that you will see him out at the bars, at mutual friends homes, or somewhere. Well I was in a long distance relationship so the likelihood of me seeing him was slim to none. So this encounter was a big deal - I had not seen or talked to him in 5 months (this was the first real interaction we had since the breakup - and that happened over the phone).

In April two of our (mine and the ex's) best friends were getting married. I knew he was going to be there, he was in the wedding, so I was able to deal and process this news. I didn't start to panic until I found out that she (the new girl) was coming. It's not that I wanted to be with him, but I wasn't sure how I would react with just having him - now I have to look at her - GREATTTTT. Let's just say there was a lot of girl power music, drinking, and running the weeks leading up to the wedding (Miranda Lambert's "Only Prettier" is clutch!)

So it's time for the big day!!! Now I'm the type of girl who needs to stay busy, otherwise I start thinking about everything, analyzing every detail, and driving myself mad. So I scheduled a work event that morning/early afternoon. By the time I got home, it was time to get ready to head to the wedding!!!!

As soon as I walk in, I see him - now this is the moment I have been dreading - but once I see him I laugh. There is absolutely no attraction and I can't believe I ever dated him (hahahaha). Of course all my boys are there with him, so they run up and give me big hugs (especially the ones I haven't seen in while). Now it's his turn to say hello and it was fine (at least for me). We went through the usual small talk about our families and what we had been up to - all the fake stuff we put ourselves through just to act pleasant. Well not even 5 minutes later does the other girl walk in - and of course she is with some of my girl friends (I mean he and I have the same mutual friends and the girls can't just ignore her – plus I would never ask them too). The best part is that she ends up sitting on my exact same row – typical!

Well the wedding was amazing and the bride was gorgeous - she couldn't have asked for a better day! As the cocktail hour and reception start I get a little nervous. Sitting through a ceremony is one thing, but a reception is another. Well nothing was going to stop me from having a good time, so I was a dancing fool - as usual. Strangely enough he wasn't - this was odd. Normally my ex would have been in the middle of the floor trying to steal the show. Instead he kind of stayed in the background, hanging out with her. There was only one awkward moment during the reception. They had all the girls line up on one side and the boys on the other. If you have ever seen the movie "Hitch" then you know what I'm talking about. It was time to have a dance line! So I find myself in the front of the line and when I look across to see who I was partnered with I realize it's the ex. Right at the exact same moment, he realizes the same thing. Well instead of being an adult and going with the flow - he scurries out of the way and runs to the middle of the guys. Of course I'm looking at everyone shocked and not sure how I should respond. But needless to say my friends were there. One his very best friends, who just happens to be a dear friend of mine jumped in a grabbed me!!! It was the ex who looked silly - not me!

So as the wedding came to end and we wished the bride and groom off I knew things were great! I had faced my demon and I could have the closure I needed to really move on. I didn't love him anymore and I defiantly did not want to be with him.

So I know it's going to be hard for you to face your ex, and even more difficult if you have to see him with a new girl. But if you need a little help just listen to Miranda Lambert's "Only Prettier" and you'll feel a lot better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment