Monday, December 19, 2011

Why are you Single?

I know you have asked yourself this plenty of times "God, why am I still single?" You've probably gotten frustrated, cried, and thought you would never find the right man if any many. Well don't worry because in the past 3 weeks I have learned that maybe there is a reason you are single. 
Just tonight I was talking to one of the Slassy girls about this topic and she said "I'm happy being single and don't really need someone else to make me happy." She went on to say "I can go out, do what a want, take a crazy weekend vacation and flirt with whomever, without feeling guilty or worrying about another." She's right - being single isn't the end of your life. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to be single forever but the more I think about it, the more I realize I needed to be single so I could straighten out my own life.

This past Sunday I was at church and the pastor started talking about this very subject. He said that when you are single you allow yourself to grow closer to God. You lose the distractions that cause you to distance yourself, when we should really be interested in one relationship - the one we have with God. Now you may not be a spiritual person but there is some real truth in what he was saying. Part of the joy of being single is that you get to worry about only you and the things going on in your life. You can stop worrying about everyone else and focus on your needs. When I became single I had no idea who I was or what I wanted. I had invested my whole life into someone else and I was lost. Because of that, I wasn't truly happy - I just made myself believe I was happy. Now I'm single and the reason I'm single is because I needed to learn who I am. I need to learn to love myself and my quirks and all the crazy silly things about me. Today I can honestly tell you that I'm happier being single than i ever was in a relationship because I accept my silliness and I like the fact that am too busy for my own good. All the things that I used to hide from, because I didn't think "he" liked them, I now love because they are me. I've learned to love ME. The really funny thing is that other people like me better because I'm not trying to be something else - I'm not fake.

If you don't love yourself and you aren't true to your own self how can you ever expect someone else to love the real you and know the real you? Are you ok living the rest of your life in a lie when there is no reason to live that lie? I believe with all my heart that God created someone for each and every one of us. This someone will love you no matter what, all your quirks, moods and weirdness (he'll find them endearing). I believe the fairy tale - so sue me. But I don't believe the fairy tale can exist unless you first accept yourself and learn to love yourself. Until then you are in the waiting period. So stop looking for a man to fulfil your life - go out there and do it yourself. You can do it and the reason I know you can is because I have watched 6 wonderful women do this very thing over the past year. Some of them are still single, but others have found great men. So stop asking yourself why and just start saying "I'm single because I love myself and I'm not going to settle!"

No comments:

Post a Comment