Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do's and Don'ts on the Road

In case you didn't know my job requires a tremendous amount of travel. I have been home maybe 4 full days in the past month, so I get to see a lot of interesting things on the road. One of the most interesting things I have come to realize is how open people are when they know you are not from their town. I have learned so much about various individuals - many whom I will never see or hear from again. Because of this I have learned a lot about what you should and should not do while on a trip.

1) Don't be afraid to travel alone - you will meet a lot of interesting people, some may even become a dear friend. Trust me I hate being alone more than anything, but when I travel I never find myself alone.

2) Sit at the bar when you go out to a restaurant - this makes it easier for you to meet other people.

3) Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with the person beside you. Just last week I met two amazing musicians from Scotland who I ended up hanging out with the rest of the week. Come to find out these guys are a big deal in Europe - Check out one of their videos!





4) Don't do anything that you might regret later on in life - If you are not a promiscuous person, don't use this time to suddenly become that type of a person. Trust me you will regret your mistakes and it will probably get back to your boss or friends

5) Be adventurous and try the local hole in the wall pub don't just go to the chain restaurant. I know we all love the CheeseCake Factory, but there are a lot of really cool places to try.

6) Ask the locals what they do for fun and then check it out - Just 2 weeks ago I was in New Orleans and found myself tired of Bourbon Street. So I went with some of the locals to their hangout spot and I have to tell you I had one of the best nights of my life. I was dancing up a storm, listening to some incredible music and eating street food.

7) Don't forget to tell your family and friends where you are. If you travel alone it's always nice to check in with someone consistently. I'm extremely independent and drive my mother crazy because I always forget to tell her where I am, but I talk to someone everyday and let them know where I am.

8) Most of all have fun!

I have a lot more to add to this list and will probably write another blog about some juicy story that happened on the road - trust me there are a lot. Maybe next time I tell you about the swingers from Nashville who tried to take me and a guy friend home!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment