Sunday, October 2, 2011

Stop Trying to be Perfect

Have you ever wanted to do something special for a guy - something unexpected knowing he would love it?

Just the other day I was talking to one of the Slassy Ladies about some of the crazy things I've done to try and make everything around me perfect. After a good laugh I decided why not share one of the stories with you all!

One thing you should know about me is that I am not domestic. I mean I know how to sew, clean, cook, do all those things that are "expected" of women, but I would never consider myself "domestic." I hate to cook - well I used to hate to cook - I don't mind it so much now, but I used to despise cooking. I hated it so much, that I would offer to clean the bathroom to get out of cooking. Well one night I decided to surprise the guy I was dating and cook this elaborate meal. I spent a solid 3 hours working on this meal - Cornish Hens, twice baked potatoes, Caesar salad, fresh veggies, and last but not least homemade cake (my great aunts recipe). I was fabulous, I pulled out the candles, turned on the music, put on a cute little outfit, and everything was PERFECT. I was so proud of myself and all my hard work, he was ecstatic and couldn't believe I went to all this trouble.

When it was time to serve the cake I had made it a point to purchase quality coffee, I bought fresh beans and was ready to go. The only thing left to do was cut the cake and put the coffee in the pot. So I pull out the cake, grab the coffee and realize - I forgot to grind the beans and now the store is closed - SHIT. Once I put my mind to something I make it happen and I was determined to make this coffee. I decided to figure out a way to grind the beans without a grinder. I tried everything under the sun, to the point that I put the coffee beans in a zip lock bag, wrapped the bag in a towel, found a hammer, went to the porch and proceed to hammer the bag of beans. My date is sitting inside laughing, he had tried to stop me, but realized it was just going to cause a fight - he needed to let me be. I spent 1 full hour on the porch pounding a bag of coffee beans, because I wanted to make the night PERFECT.

Looking back at this night I laugh at myself - WHAT WAS I THINKING? We didn't need the coffee, everything else had been great. The problem was me, I wasn't able to let go and just live. My so called plans met a speed bump and I couldn't get over the hump. I was stuck and missed out on an hour of quality time to beat a bag of beans.

But hey – I got my cup of coffee!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment