Monday, October 24, 2011

When your parents end up on an unexpected date!

Hey guys - sorry it's been so long since my last blog post but I've been on the road traveling for my job. I thought I would have plenty of time to write while on the road, but I have to be honest and tell you the road is crazy - I've had more adventures in these past two months than I did all summer. Don't worry, I'll share all these stories soon enough.

Today I want to talk about parents and dates.

Just this past weekend I went to a Western Carolina football game with my parents, my sister from another mother, her husband and her parents - yes I was only single person in the group (oh well). So we started tailgating at noon, went up to the VIP area, watched the game, and then headed back to the tailgate. We are all sitting there when this guy comes up and starts talking to the group. He's a little bit older, but very nice, good looking and seems put together and decides he likes me. He was chattin it up with the friends and family just hanging out.

I thought it was a little odd that he was alone just walking around until we learned that his friends were all at the local pub waiting for him, but he was intoxicated and couldn't drive. Now my sister from another mother has a mother that is trouble when you put her and me together. She gets the bright idea that I'm going drive him to the bar. Well I ask him what he drives and he proceeds to tell him that is in the brand new BWM 5 series (in case you didn't know I have thing for cars - I like them, a lot). So at that point I said, "of course." As soon as the words come out of my mouth I glance over at my father who looks horrified. His baby girl is getting ready to get in the car with this older gentleman, who we have never met, is extremely intoxicated, and is going to give her directions to a bar we don't know – something most Dad’s don’t want to hear.

So I look at my girl-friend and her husband and say "make sure your close behind." They agree to come and get me so off we go. The guy was very nice and the place was only 10 minutes down the road. So we get to the bar and he offers me a drink. We are sitting there with his friends’ when I see my girl-friend and wave her over. In the middle of the wave I see my mother, father, and everyone else. This is great – seriously! I’m thinking we are all going to have a few drinks, hang out and just enjoy the bar - wrong. They didn't want to stay at the bar - we were headin to dinner - but I couldn't leave my drink. So the family and friends stood on the wall facing our seats and watched our conversation. Never in my life have I felt so awkward. I mean its one thing for your parents to be there doing their own thing, but it’s another when they are standing there watching you like a hawk. (I can't stop laughing thinking about this poor guy and what he must have been thinking).

Needless to say I quickly downed the drink, thanked him and wished him farewell. I'm pretty good in most situations, but having your parents watch your every move with a guy you just met, is weird. So, the next time your parents ask to meet the guy you are talking to, or they try to set you up with someone - make sure there are things for them to do; otherwise you may end up like me!

1 comment: