Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What's the Rush

My fortune cookie stated "He who hurries cannot walk with dignity." This made me think - what's the rush with life. Why are we always trying to grow up, get to the weekend, FIND THE NEW BOYFRIEND? Why can't just be happy in the moment and enjoy what we have right now.

Have you ever sat down and thought about who you want to date - looks, personality, everything. When I was a little girl I had the perfect guy picked out - not someone I knew or a movie star, but my dream man. Now how many of you have dated that guy? NOT ME. I've never even dated a guy that looks like my dream man, much less had the characteristics. I've spent my life worrying about being in a relationship that I didn't really think about who I was dating and if they were what I REALLY wanted. Don't get me wrong, I've dated some very cute guys who were very very kind, but I was so caught up in the moment and what I thought they could be, that I forgot to look at who they really were. I wanted to speed up the process.

Well now I'm slowing down. Each day is a new day and I am enjoying life in the moment. The hardest thing for me was living in the present. When I was in my serious relationship - yes I was in a relationship for 7 years - I was so busy worrying about what we were going to do next, or when we were going to get engaged, married, and so forth that I stressed about everything. I forgot to live in the present. It probably caused a lot of fight (ok I know it caused a lot of fights) and I stopped being happy with what I was doing.

Not anymore - now I'm just enjoying life. I've found that if I live for the moment then I enjoy life a lot more. The dating world can be fun, yes scary, but fun. When you see that cute guy for the first time and he says HELLO. The tickle in the stomach and the giddiness you feel is amazing. But you will only feel these things if you live for today. So stop trying to speed up the process - you will get married one day if that is what you want - and just be happy with what you have right now. Tomorrow it's gone and you can't get that time or those feelings back. Be patient and really think about the next guy that comes your way. Is he really what you want or is it that you just want to be in a relationship?

4 comments:

  1. Make sure and live for today like there is no tomorrow. However, make sure that whatever you do today you can live with tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Power is in the present moment--and you seem to enjoy your present moments to the fullest! More power to ya, baby. (Patti)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. I am going to force my 16-year-old to read this as she enters her last two years of High School. You are wise beyond your years and I can't wait to see you find the man of your dreams......on your time table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of curiosity you have to share what the younger, less concussed, Leah Beth viewed as the perfect man? Did he have a mullet and drive a truck?

    How, if any, has the view of the perfect man changed over the years?


    Jeff

    ReplyDelete